I need help.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Hello, I found the link to this project and figured I'd download it to see what it is about. I've been programming for several years, but know basically nothing about 3D modeling. I choose to start developing with the XNA framework because it's easy, and all my experience is in c-based languages. Once I got your editor up and running, I'm having two issues:

1) I tried adding an "EnginePipeline" reference to a code project, but that project is giving me an Error when I go to build it. 2) Additionally, is there any documentation floating around as to what exactly your editor is/does/how to use it? I assumed it was a 3D modeling program ala UDK, Blender, Unity, Maya, etc, but so far the only thing I can seem to "create" is a terrain. I know -just- barely enough about 3DS max, Blender, etc to create my own basic, crude models (and can import them into your scene editor), but I don't know where to go from there. I love the idea of being able to build 3D maps that XNA reads by default so I'd really like to give your Scene Editor a chance.

All I -really- want is a super easy way to create 3d Maps that I can plug into an XNA game so I can begin working on the basics of a 3D rpg. The code stuff will be easy to build upon if I can get a working basic model for a game. I don't want to use a program like Unity because I want to learn how to write the game-design stuff myself. I've been googling for weeks to find the "idiots" guide to getting started or whatnot, and with my extremely limited knowledge, every turn seems to be a dead end. Thank you for hearing me out, and hopefully you can get me started on the right path.

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Hi,

This is not a 3D model editor like 3D Max or Maya, what this tool does is import models from these programs such as houses etc. and allows you to use them to compose levels. You use a Gizmo control similar to Max to position your pre made models in your level which you can then save out as a readable XML file to do with as you wish.

Did you try to add EnginePipeline to a new XNA project or just a standard C# project? 

Nov 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hello, and thank you very, very much for writing me back. I tried adding EnginePipeline to a pre-existing XNA game. I wasn't sure that it would make a difference.  I'll have to practice with your package, I guess. Thank you for clarifying how it works.

I know very, very little about 3D modeling, and have tried playing with a couple different programs, Deled, 3DS Max, Unity, Blender, etc. So far, Unity seems to be the easiest but I don't believe you can export Unity maps. It looks like UDK might do the same thing, as I can export UDK maps to .fbx, which XNA can read.